Monday 19 March 2007

Apparently I have got round to it

So, first ever posting.
Well, not the most exciting of days. Fairly ordinary as things go.
Got up early, went to work, worked, then finished, now off home.

Most people who know me will attest to the fact that I hate getting up early and I hate having to travel to work.

You see, I am a commuter. I travel alongside the approximately million other people desperately keen to get into the city, day in, day out, from all sorts of locations not there.

Why commute?

Because I enjoy it? I think not.
Because there's nothing better than sitting (if you're very lucky) on a crowded train (which, incidently, this morning had no heating so was approximately 5 degrees) for at least 30 minutes? Erm, no.
Because the city is buzzing and there's nothing quite like working there? Eh-uh (noise that the Family Fortunes buzzer makes when you get a wrong answer).
Because it's cheap, reliable and easy to travel into London by train? Hmm. Don't get out much, do you?

Really, I can think of no good reason to commute other than I have been sucked into the cycle of jobs that only exist in the city. Boo.

However, I am trying to get out whoop! (I have been trying to get out for a while now but this just makes me more determined than ever). I am currently applying for jobs nearer to where I live.

Makes sense, eh? Well, I think so.

I just can't imagine the joy of not having to get up at 6.20am just because I know that if I don't there won't be a seat available on any train before 10am. Or being able to pop home at lunchtime to feed the cat (his name's Bob and it's his birthday on Thursday - more about him another time).

So, wish me luck in my quest.

I'll keep you posted...

9 comments:

Liz said...

HI V!!

Andy said...

Hang on a minute, Liz, are you just commenting on as many blogs as possible to try and get linked from them?

Unknown said...

Hey V! Yay, more blogs to read. Sorry to hear you dislike commuting. I actually quite like it, (though like you I do dislike the early mornings). It gets annoying when people play with their ring tones first thing in the morning though, or try to take a phone call but end up shouting because the connection is bad, (you're on a tube - duh!).

But, speaking on behalf of my people I must say that tubes are great, and provide a brilliant service for thousands, (else I would get in trouble!)

xxx

RikiWright said...

I made a decision to go to uni on the other side of London to where I live and to still live at home - I know all too well the horror of the commute and basically - I hate it too. Hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it hatei HATE IT! Cool to read your blog though

Glyn Harries said...

Well hello she what blogs.

I hate commuting. Commuting sucks. Big time. And everyone who works for the transport people should be locked up and have pain inflicted upon them (sorry Kirsty)

Liz said...

Well Andy, that's a very cynical thing to say. I was merely welcoming V to the wonderful world of Blog:...(

Kat said...

Hey V! I hate all forms of public transport n try 2 avoid it at all costs!
I hope u find a new job soon u'll b in my prayers.

youthwork southwest said...

Am I weird for liking commuting? But then that's because mine only takes 30 mins. I listen to stuff on my ipod and just enjoy the experience.

I think I am weird...

Great to see you blogging...just want to see more more more!

Anonymous said...

Hey
Just a quick note to say missed you and Andy this easter!
Hope you are both well,
Take care
Love Charlotte x